27 August 2009

Barefoot & Windy

“And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.” Kahlil Gibran

Putting my life in terms of Rants & Raves, has put an interesting spin on my morning already. From the moment I wake, to the last thought before sleep. I want to look at my life more in terms of my Raves. You know: ‘the glass is half full not half empty,’ and therefore I need more Raves than Rants on my blog (and in my life).

My current blog score is 1:2/Rants to Raves (and oh what a Rant the one Rant was!). I am focused on looking to up my ‘Rant to Rave Ratio today – heretofore known as RRR or Rx3 (for texting purposes). Which brought me to barefoot or bare feet (my mind works in mysterious ways even I don’t understand). Barefoot, the exact opposite of shoes, boots, socks, ski boots, snowshoes, skates & the like. Hot sand squeezed between your toes, summer sandals, flip flops and barefoot in the park. And the wind in your hair: on a bicycle, on the beach, at the helm, on the backyard deck, in a hot red convertible (1969 MGB w/tantem top, preferably), or a mountaintop. Who doesn’t love that, wouldn’t embrace that feeling. Nothing feels more free or open. Well, perhaps completely naked in the rising sun, but naked is for another blog.

I am looking to affect my outlook on life, my attitude toward myself, my family, toward you and others, and toward life in general. Positive thinking is a more productive way to approach to the negative, unpleasant and depressing side of your life. Positive thinking, and/or one’s RRR, as most of you already know, is effective stress management. In an earlier blog (8.25.2009), I talked about the conversation in my head that has always been there. I wasn’t referring to voices, but to my self-talk. Self-talk is the endless stream of thoughts that run through your head every day. These automatic thoughts can be positive or negative. Some of your self-talk comes from logic and reason, life’s experience, the people and places in your life. Other self-talk may arise from misconceptions that one creates on their own, because of lack of information, rationalization, untruths and negativity in your life, abuse, etc. If the thoughts that run through your head are mostly negative, your outlook on life is more likely pessimistic - it stands to reason. If your thoughts are mostly positive, you're likely an optimist: you are someone who practices positive thinking. Basic stuff here.

Researchers continue to explore the effects of positive thinking and optimism on health. Health benefits that positive thinking may provide include: increasing your own life span; lessen distress level; lower rates of depression; support better psychological and physical well-being, and; reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. Positive thinking and optimism can also improve your resistance to common illnesses like colds and flu, your coping skill for stress, your psychological and physical well-being, and reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease. It's unclear why people who engage in positive thinking experience these health benefits. One theory is that having a positive outlook enables you to cope better with stressful situations, which reduces the harmful health effects of stress on your body. It's also thought that positive and optimistic people live healthier lifestyles because they get more physical activity, follow a healthier diet, and have reduced rates of smoking and alcohol consumption. You exercise positive thinking and the power of it, your life is better, healthier and longer. Lecture over. Now to the good stuff!


It brings me to my friend Tim. Tim was always 'that guy.' You know, that guy. The one everyone knows & likes: a guy's guy and even a woman's man. The guy who is friend to everyone, great at any sport, walks & talks with confidence, looks good and everyone wants to be his friend. And Tim is that guy, and more, so very much more. More because, on top of it all, he has a breath and depth of personality that goes with it. That positive attitude, outlook and perspective that not only attracts people but inspires them as well. He is cool, calm, collect to us all, yet down-to-earth, realistic, humble and personable. Has a wonderful family, long time friends and a positive outlook. And he has cancer. After three years of treatments, operations and recovery, it is still cancer. Invading not only his body but his life and his family. Tim is set for a laryngectomy, the removal of his voice box.

On August 24th, he wrote: "One way or another I will become a neck breather. That will be a permanent reminder of my third battle with vocal cord cancer. The level of physical pain should be controlled with medication. The emotional pain and the recovery is still in question." His friends and family responded with love, kindness and support. Today, Tim wrote on his blog: "I am ready to go into Friday's surgery, I plan on coming out of the surgery with my dignity intact. I am ready to fight the battle." His surgery is tomorrow. The process of his self-talk, the power in his positive thinking was evident in his blog: from the first post after finding out the laryngectomy was necessary (loss of hope, dispair, defeat) to the this most recent post before his operation (positive, forward, confident). I have no doubt that the power of his postive thinking will contribute to a positive outcome with his surgery.

Please keep him and his family in your thoughts and prayers. He has many years left to enjoy barefeet and wind in his hair (at his back, on his face - whatever the case may be). He remains the most amazing person I know.

3 comments:

  1. May the power of the love and healing thoughts of others-known and unknown-provide support to he and his loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessing his voice will be heard Loud and Clear, even without his voice box. May he be at peace, and grow beautifully as he walks along.

    Thinking positive also makes one a more fun person to be around! My friend made her motto "Be like Buddy" because her dog Buddy is such a positive thinker. I like to remind myself by saying "Less bark, more wag."

    Hugs to you and to Tim.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Postscript: Unfortunately, Tim lost his battle with cancer in December 2010. His wife and children all exuded the grace and strength of Tim's life, at one of the largest memorial services I have ever attended. Tim touched the lives of so many people. May you rest in peace Tim Mcgee.

    ReplyDelete