28 August 2009

Chutes & Ladders: The Game of Life

Chutes & Ladders "This delightful game is simple and easy to play, even for children who can't read. Players spin the spinner and move their pawns, square by square, the number shown. If the pawn lands on a picture square at the bottom of a ladder, children climb up with a good deed! Naughty deeds slide you back when you land on a picture square at the top of a chute!" (Ages 3-6 for 2-4 Players). The game was sold as Snakes and ladders in England before Milton Bradley introduced the basic concept in the United States as Chutes and Ladders in 1952, an "improved new version of England's famous indoor sport." Its simplicity and the see-sawing nature of the contest made it popular with young children. (Wikipedia)

In a conversation this morning while getting a manicure and pedicure, Kate compared life to a game of chutes and ladders. It didn't take more than a couple of seconds for me to realize how true that was in my own life. You come to that upward, loftier, haughty, elevating "ladder in life," and up you go! You're a winner, world-class and more often than not you are uppity over your accomplishments. A bit full of yourself at times. Likewise, when there is a chute at your feet, and it can just be by chance, down you go and backwards in your progress along life's path to the future and old age. Often we are demeaned and defeated by our mistakes and backwards slides in life, you become just another old sod scratching your way along and back up in the world. You slide down the slippery slope of life's chutes to slink about beneath it all, and start all over again in the game of life and living. Friends and family often view and treat your differently. Maybe not always, but some do and it is often enough to add to the misery of mistakes and failure. I beleive that we all are guilty of basking in the ladders of life, as well as experiencing the slippery slope of life's chutes. And even guilty to some degree of casting a downward glance or comment about someone who has stumbled or fallen and slid down a chute in life's path.

I think it is safe to say that most everyone played Chutes & Ladders as a child. At least in my generation, the "fifty-somethings." And the generation before and the one after. I am also sure that I played the game with Ana, who is part of the "thirty-something" generation born in the 1970s. Which reminds me, I need to get two sets of this game now that I am a grandmother (here-to-fore always referred to as "Nan-na" - please make note). One game for my granddaughter Maxine - who lives in Seattle, for her to play and us to play when I visit. And another game for me at my house for two reasons. First, so that we can play when she comes to visit, and second so I can practice for when she comes to visit. That way, I hope to avoid completely embarassing myself once she becomes smarter than me. I am beginning to realize that I am getting older, and may be more likely not always keeping my wits and smarts about me (I suspect).

No doubt as children we all practiced the art of winning and loosing in life without even realizing it. Who knew? As life has unfolded, some of us were winners and some of us were not; and sometimes we win and sometimes we loose throughout life. Everyone has ups and downs along the road of life. Perhaps in addition to euchre, spades and hearts, even a friendly game of poker, we should continue with chutes & ladders just as reminder of what could be or could have been or might yet to be in our life. I know that I will look at the game differently once I begin to play it again with Maxine. Actually, I can't wait for us to play games! This Nan-na thing is going to be fun! At four months old, it might be a little early for her to start. Maybe just the gameboard on the wall behind her changing table for a start. What do you think?

I so look forward to playing with Maxine and watching her grow. I am anxious to see what parts of her are Ana and what parts of her are Jason and how that combination contributes to person she becomes. Being a Nan-na is definately a ladder in my game of life! Order your own Chutes and Ladders board game at www.boardgames.com/chutandlad.htm

RRR Quotient: 1:4

1 comment:

  1. Now that I am assisting coaching soccer (ack!), I am seeing the art and poetry of the game, amazed by how much like life is the constant give and go, the elusive nature of having control of the ball, the amazing power of defensive strategy. Play = work, the most important work of all if we play all out and take home the messages from the game to our heart's path on this earth.

    Love reading your stuff!

    ReplyDelete