31 August 2009

Delightful Things




















Maxine Nadal

On this last day in August, I continue my focus to have less rants and more raves in my life. I thought with this day, sort of a passage from Summer to Autumn (even though that doesn't officially happen until September 21st), it would be a good day to count the blessings in my life this month. That is those things that truely delight me. So today is a list. However simple or complicated I end of making it, what follows are the "delightful things."

** My friend Tim's operation on Friday went well. And today already, the reports from his wife Laurie of his progress in recovery are very encouraging.

** My lovely grand-daughter Maxine will turn four months tomorrow. She definately is a delight in my life! These first two delights on my list are the two primary things on my mind these past months. I have given each of them considerable thought and prayer. My concerns for their health and well-being, a new life and a life well-lived; also brings a sense of balance to my own life at this time.

** Unexpected visitors!

** It didn't snow in August. This is a delight, as the weather was a frequent topic of conversation, concern and disappointment. Too cold a summer for most of us; missing the sunny days on Lake Superior and warm nights of the long days above the 45th parallel. So, my delight here is from the perspective of the glass is half full. (I am trying really hard!)

** Waking up every morning feeling refreshed.

** August was full of connects and re-connections. My interactions with family, old friends and new friends were plentiful this past month. New friends and old, some lost and nearly forgotten, as well as my circle of support of everyday friends surrounded me all month. Becky (Patrick & Sue's daughter) shared pictures and stories of her missionary work in Panama; while a steady stream of thoughts, stories and pictures from Barbara (& Larid) of Redit, Abel and Helen, their newly adopted children, are adorable and endlessly entertaining. Good conversations with Bruce & Cindy, and with my sister Joann. Connections across the peninsula from Sault Ste. Marie to Grand Marais to Marquette over good wine, great food, amazing music and entertaining conversation. Sharing music, meals and conversation, playing cards and watching the weather change, come and go. A good time with an old friend, turned new friendship. And a chance encounter, with a new friend with a new perspective, on his cross-country journey.

** Lake Superior at night: like black velvet waving in the wind, as it swells and rolls to shore.

** The "Devine Miss Peggy," she never ceases to amaze me! Her insight, wit and perspectives of life are equally encouraging, entertaining and cherished. Even those ordinary everyday things: "Up by the roots!" I am so fortunate to have her as my 'house-mate' for all these years.

** Sadie & Gus (and ultimately Heidi & Lou too!)

** A walk on Saturday morning to the Marquette Farmer's Market at the Commons in downtown Marquette, followed by a trip to the new bakery, the Marquette Food Co-Op and Dead River Coffee Shop. And then, a walk home along the shores of Lake Superior. See, meet & talk with friends - old & new - at the Saturday Market.

** Tres Pecos wine: Sharing a whole bottle with a friend!

** Roasted asparagus - the thin baby ones, with olive oil, cracked black pepper & garlic.

** Freshly washed sheets dryed on the line. Crisp and fragrant to sleep on.

** Talking with all three of my children in the same day. I should clarify that to say communicating. Talking with Ana in the morning, while Maxine coos in the background, about her day and how Maxine is changing and growing. A surprise visit from my son on his way home from the bike shop. And a text message (a start) from Elyse & Alex (enjoying the bottle of wine I gave them at Christmas in their new apartment - Tres Pecos). We shared a few text messages and her new address.

** Winning at cribbage. Winning big!! S-K-U-N-K! Double S-K-U-N-K!!

** Safe travels on the highway on my weekly commute to/from my home in Marquette and my job in Brimley. My commute is 155 miles, door to door, one way.

** Beet salad from the Rubyiat restaurant in Marquette.

** Live music outside in the afternoon sun, or under the evening sky in Grand Marais. Live music at a Dave & Ellen's going away party. Live music in celebration of a long time friend, with old friends and friendships renewed. Live music with friends on the deck at my house.

** Opened windows.

** A random act of kindness from an unexpected source. Long lost pictures from times nearly forgotten returned.

** Bostock. If you haven't tried it, you must! It is sinfully delicious & a rare find. Eaten with fresh raspberries, it has to be a sin!

** My friend Faye. A never ending source of postive energy.

** Tres Pecos. Did I mention that already? All things Spanish wine!

** Morning walks. Morning walks from Wetmore's Landing to Little Presque Isle. Morning walks around Presque Isle. Morning walks to the coffee shop, with a lazy walk along the lakeshore home in the early afternoon. Morning walks to the lake to see the sunrise. Morning walks to 'top-of-the-world.' Morning walks. Afternoon walks. Evening walks. Late night walks. Living in a walkable location.

** Sunrise. Sunset. Lake breezes.

RRR 1:7

1 comment:

  1. My Dear Friend,
    I am not in the least surprised that Your writing is as delightful to read as you are to banter with.
    Carry on Sista!

    ReplyDelete